Thursday, December 29, 2022

Forget the Resolutions. Let’s Establish Some Goals

Just a couple weeks ago, sports fans all around the world were glued to their TVs with a single word in their minds. World Cup soccer matches were the rage on every continent, and the commentators sat on the edge of their seats waiting for the magic moment when the ball would spin past the goalie and they could scream with full lung capacity, “Gooooooooooooal!”

 

I must confess that I didn’t watch a minute of the much-hyped World Cup competition. If you’re a fan, go ahead, hate me. Unless I’m watching one of my grandkids play what we Americans know as soccer, I’ll take American football over the global game of “futbol” any day. I did hear that the championship game was kind of messy – or was that, Messi, as in Lionel? (I’m not totally ignorant of the sport.)

 

I do share one thing with what’s commonly referred to as “the beautiful game.” I, too, am a big fan of goals, except mine come with objectives and timelines to guide me along the way. This time of year, when many folks are talking about making resolutions – translation, “Well-intended sentiments that I know there’s probably no chance I’ll keep” – I choose to make goals.

What’s the difference? A resolution is something like, “I’ll quit eating junk food,” or “I’ll never drive over the speed limit again,” or “I’m resolved to work out at least four times a week next year.” Great intentions. Noble thoughts. But by the end of the first month, if not sooner, those resolutions most likely will be shattered like a fine crystal glass meeting a hammer.

 

Goals, on the other hand, are targets we can work toward over time. They are quantifiable, measurable, and attainable. Goals serve as the answer to questions like, “Where am I going?” “How am I going to get there?” and “How will I know when I’ve arrived?” They can help to ensure we’re making the proper use of our time, talents and resources.

 

I’ve found it helpful to make categories for goals, including physical, mental, spiritual, social, vocational, financial, and avocational (hobbies). Some of my past goals have been: going to the fitness center three times a week; losing 15 pounds by mid-year; reading 20 books, including the Bible, over the course of one year; paying off a credit card balance within a certain period; having a weekly date night with my wife; memorizing a new Bible verse each week; and starting to take drum lessons.

 

Resolving to become a better husband certainly seems like a good idea, but how will I know if I’ve accomplished that? Setting a goal – or goals – to guide me in that direction is a better approach.

 

As I read the Scriptures, I find a number of worthwhile goals to strive toward, such as, “Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands…so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody” (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12). But how do we achieve that? We can establish some reasonable goals to help us go beyond just high-minded intentions. For some, this might be as simple as getting a job and sticking with it. Maybe even finding an accountability partner or two to remind us to follow through on goals we have set.

 

My life verse, adapted from the Amplified Bible’s translation of Philippians 3:10, states, “My determined purpose is that I may know Him (the Lord), that I may progressively become more intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His person more strongly and more clearly.” But how do I do that? 

 

I can set goals to spend a certain amount of time each day reading and meditating on the Scriptures, along with time for prayer; participating in Bible studies and discussions with like-minded believers; attending worship services regularly; and talking with others about my faith, not only evangelistically but also in discipling or mentoring relationships. As one translation of Philemon 6 states, “I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.” If we desire for God to entrust us with more spiritual riches, we should be faithful to use what He’s already given to us.

 

How can we know that the Lord approves of the goals we set? The Scriptures tell us this starts with ensuring our hearts are right toward Him. Psalm 37:4 declares, “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.” If our motives flow from our love for God, He’ll impress upon us what our desires should be.

 

Jesus referred to this in His “sermon on the mount.” Speaking to the assembled multitude, He said, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also…. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:21,33).

Hope this is helpful. Now, it’s time to start establishing my own goals for the new year. 

No comments: