Monday, May 2, 2022

Have You Ever Stopped and Turned Around?

People who know me are aware of my “traveling disability” – I’m directionally challenged. Whenever I go to a new place, I either need clear directions or must rely on my good friend, Gladys Penelope Snodgrass (GPS). In fact, I can somewhere 10 times and, if the route is complicated in any way, will probably need directions again. 

 

I admire people who can travel to a new location and from that first visit will have the directions down pat, even years later. That doesn’t describe me. A common stereotype about men is that they never stop for directions, insistent on finding the way on their own. However, acknowledging my directional deficiencies, I’m usually quick to stop to ask someone – or consult GPS – for guidance.

 

One time I did attempt the “find it yourself” approach, but after a while realized the farther that I drove, the more distant I was getting from my destination. I’d rather humble myself and admit I’m lost – or suspect I might be – than keep following the wrong route. 
 

I marvel at the account in Exodus of how the ancient Israelites, after being freed from bondage in Egypt, wandered in the desert for 40 years before God guided them to the Promised Land. In that culture, women were expected to submit to the authority of men. And the men of Israel probably were too proud to ask for directions.

 

There’s a spiritual parallel here, but it’s not limited to the male species. Many of us have spent considerable time wandering through life, often in a tremendous hurry, but we seem to be going in circles. We’re going nowhere, but at least we’re making great time. Or as a friend used to describe people trying to live without Jesus Christ, “They’re lost, but they don’t know they’re lost.”

 

Recently I heard a story about C.S. Lewis, a one-time atheist who became a stalwart theologian and apologist for Christianity. Although raised in a Christian home, he rejected the faith at an early age and for a time thought he was doing just fine, on the right path, right on schedule. Then, as recounted in The Most Reluctant Convert, a biography of Lewis by David Downing, came an “aha” moment.

 

Lewis was enrolled to attend the esteemed Oxford University College, but when he exited the train in Oxford, he mistakenly began walking down the street in the wrong direction. He had never been to the town before, so Lewis grew disappointed at the nondescript houses and shops he saw along the way. He continued for a while until he reasoned that perhaps he was going the wrong way.

 

Not long after turning around, Lewis began to see the beautiful towers and spires for which the college is noted. Recalling this experience in his own book, Surprised by Joy, Lewis states, “This little adventure was an allegory of my whole life.” This became an important step in his journey of returning to the wonder of a life of faith, realizing the futility of following the path that had absorbed him into “the mundane inanities of modern life.”

 

Only when he turned around did Lewis find his way to the college, and this “turning” served as an important moment in realizing his need to turn back to the God he had encountered as a child. And what a turning it was – he became the author of many books about the Christian faith, including Mere Christianity, A Grief Observed, and the Chronicles of Narnia fantasy series.

 

Tragically, countless men and women are traveling in the absolute wrong direction, thoroughly convinced it eventually will get them to where they want to go. They have no idea that unless they turn around and proceed in the opposite direction, which the Bible calls “repentance,” they will never arrive at their desired destination. As Acts 3:19 declares, Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.”

 

The many religions of this world suggest there are many ways of finding the peace, joy, sense of purpose and fulfillment we all long for. But Jesus Christ boldly declared, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

 

This opportunity is available for anyone who will call out to God, acknowledge their need for Him and the fact that they have been headed in the wrong direction for much too long. If we do so, we’re told, “A highway will be there, a roadway, and it will be called the Highway of Holiness” (Isaiah 35:8).

 

Is it time that you – or someone that you know and love – admitted going the wrong way and decided it was time to consult a new GPS: God’s Positioning System? 

There was a time in my life that I was far off-course spiritually, knowing nothing about a real, transforming relationship with the Lord. But I finally “saw the light,” no longer directionally challenged spiritually. Ever since then, following Jesus has become an incredible adventure I could never have imagined. When God said in Jeremiah 33:3, “Call on me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know,” He wasn’t kidding. 

No comments: