Monday, April 9, 2018

How Does God Speak to Us?

Several weeks ago, one of the regulars on a daytime TV talk show mocked Vice President Mike Pence for saying in an interview that Jesus speaks to him. In a brief harangue, for which she later apologized after many complaints were lodged, this person questioned the Vice President’s mental state – and by inference, anyone else that believes God can speak to them personally.

I won’t comment further on what she said, but this brief verbal kerfuffle did raise an important question. Does God speak to us, and if so, how?

Without hesitation, I can say He has spoken to me numerous times, although never in an audible manner. However, in the Scriptures we do find God speaking audibly whenever He chose to do so – to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden; to Noah, Abraham and Jacob; through a burning bush to Moses; on numerous occasions to the prophet Samuel; to Saul (later renamed Paul) on the road to Damascus, and many other times to many other people.

Today, we have the compiled Word of God – Old and New testaments – through which He can speak to us powerfully and clearly. Hebrews 4:12 assures us, “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”

Writing to his protégé, Timothy, the apostle Paul asserted, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16). And King David, who understood what it was like to get sidetracked when he wasn’t heeding God’s direction, observed, “How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word…. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:9,11).

Unlike people of biblical times, who couldn’t go to their neighborhood Christian bookstore or go to an app or online to read the Scriptures, we have ready access to God’s revealed truth, precepts and principles for everyday living.

So people don’t talk as much about the Lord speaking with a voice we can hear aloud, although I’ve talked with some who attest they have experienced that at least once when it was important for Him to get their attention.

In the Middle East, however, it seems God is speaking authoritatively to spur an unprecedented spiritual awakening in that region. Missionaries serving there attest to many men, women and children turning from Islam and receiving Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord, even at risk of their lives. In many cases, it was not a missionary who spoke with them about the gospel of Christ, but Jesus Himself, appearing to them in dreams and visions.

God can – and obviously does – speak audibly even today whenever He wishes to do so. But in addition to reading the Scriptures, and having the Holy Spirit within us to help us understand and apply what we read, God speaks to us in other ways.

I could never recount all the times He has spoken to me through other people, not only a pastor or Bible teacher, but also godly friends who pointed me to appropriate Scripture passages when a need arose. Proverbs 27:17 states, “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Many times that “sharpening” has come through someone citing or reminding me of just the right verse for my particular circumstances.

This has proved especially helpful in making crucial decisions. As Proverbs 15:22 states, “Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.” More often than not, this has involved not just their own knowledge and experience, but drawing from the vast storehouse of wisdom God has given us in His Word.

Finally, the Lord often speaks very clearly through circumstances. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight,” (Proverbs 3:5-6). At times I have prayed for God’s wisdom and direction, having no clue about what I should do or where I should turn. Occasionally – perhaps because I wouldn’t have been smart enough to recognize His direction any other way – He has closed doors He didn’t want me to walk through, opening only a single door of opportunity so I wouldn’t agonize over which way to go.

So, to that individual who thought the idea of Jesus speaking personally to His people sounded ludicrous, I’d respond He does indeed speak today, but relatively few people seem willing to listen to what He has to say. For that reason, like the apostle Paul, we should pray “that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains” (Ephesians 6:19).

No comments: