Monday, March 25, 2013

Yes, No, Wait . . . Different!


Prayer is a curious thing, but those who believe in God and trust He’s actively involved in our daily lives do pray. The Bible exhorts, “Pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Some people prefer certain postures or places for praying; others spontaneously pray whenever and wherever they feel the notion to do so. Even while driving. Hopefully, with their eyes opened.

It’s encouraging to hear someone say, “I’m praying for you,” even when we don’t fully understand how prayer really works or how those prayers will be answered. Regardless, I prefer that to words like, “I’m sending good thoughts your way.” I guess it’s better than sending bad thoughts. But I’d rather have people praying, even something like, “Lord, please bail out this knucklehead.”

Prayer's perplexing reality is its lack of a predictable cause-and-effect. We pray, but answers might be slow in arriving. I’ve come to realize, however, that’s not bad. Because it requires us to exercise the spiritual muscle called faith, trusting God hears and will answer – even if it's uncertain when or how.

Years ago a friend observed, “We treat God like a short-order cook.” He pointed out often we pray as if we’re placing an order at a restaurant, expecting it to be delivered promptly as specified. That’s not quite how it works. First of all, God isn’t here for us – we’re here for Him. And second, I’ve learned He understands what we think we want is not always what we need. “Father Knows Best,” as the old TV show title stated.

God always answers prayers, but in four different ways. Sometimes He says, “Yes.” We might pray for an ailing loved one and He does restore their health. Sometimes He says, ”No.” For instance, we decide on a house we wish to buy. Someone else’s offer on the house is accepted, however, and we’re forced to keep looking. Later we realize the house we did purchase was better. God already knew that.

One of the hardest answers to prayer is when He says, “Wait.” Many times, especially when facing career issues, I’ve felt frustrated by the admonition of Psalm 37:7, “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him….” When a major job change seemed necessary, the last thing I wanted to do was wait. “Come on, Lord. I’m ready to go!” But He chose to make me wait. At times it forced me to be patient, not one of my strong traits. Maybe it was a matter of timing – the right opportunity wasn’t available yet. And sometimes He just wanted me to trust: “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10).

There’s a fourth way God answers prayer: Different. I remember in late 1980 when my tenure as editor of a community newspaper outside of Houston, Texas was concluding. I’d applied for positions I felt qualified for at several newspapers, but received no responses.

Then I heard about a job opening in Chattanooga, Tenn. The job was different from what I had been seeking. It proved to be exactly what I needed – and wanted. I can’t begin to tell how much my years there meant for me and my family, the opportunities and experiences that I’d never imagined.

So when God answers your prayers, He might say "yes," or "no," or "wait"...or "different."


No comments: