Monday, December 6, 2010

Be the Change You Want to See

While visiting with a friend at a local coffee shop, I saw a sign that read, “Be the change you want to see.” I like that sentiment.

I’m convinced we’ve never lived in a time like this, when so much is being said by so many . . . about so little. We’re surrounded by talk and opinions, on radio, TV, even blogs. Too often, that’s all it is – talk. No action.

The adage, “A penny for your thoughts,” is accurate. That’s about all they’re worth. I’m convinced if you really believe something, and aren’t just attempting to add to the cacophony of voices surrounding us, you should do something about it.

That doesn’t mean we should try and do everything. We might not have the expertise (or opportunity) to heal the ailing economy; offer absolute solutions for world poverty; or possess savvy for overcoming ever-present problems of hatred and prejudice in our society.

But when there’s something you’re passionate about – and somewhat knowledgeable – it’s not enough to talk and spout opinions. Do something.

Not to toot my own horn, but there are a number of areas I feel strongly about, enough to be the change I want to see.

For instance, I believe many men yearn for more mature men to meet with, to help them wrestle with everyday personal and professional issues so they can become the people they want to be. So years ago I decided to give time each week to mentoring.

Having experienced the consequences of heart disease and challenges of recovery, I volunteer, to encourage recent open heart surgery patients and give suggestions from personal experience on how they can enjoy a rapid and full recovery.

And being convinced the majority of people professing to be followers of Jesus Christ have little understanding of how to apply principles from the Scriptures on a consistent, everyday basis, I have written books, articles, a weekly e-mail devotional called “Monday Manna,” and even this blog.

Am I doing a lot? I don’t know. Probably not. But I am doing something – at least in some small way, I am trying to be the change I want to see. Are you?

In the Bible, the apostle James is very convicting about this: “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says…. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins” (James 1:22, 4:17). Look around you. If you feel strongly that something should be done, don’t just talk about it. Do something about it!

No comments: