Monday, August 24, 2009

What Haven’t You Done?

I’m not addicted to radio talk shows, but often find myself listening to them – to learn what other people are thinking.

Last week two guys were talking about things most people have done that they had not. One commented he had never drunk a cup of coffee, finished a bottle of beer, watched any of the “Indiana Jones” films, or driven a manual shift vehicle. “Wow,” I thought, “I’ve done all of those.”

Of course, that prompted me to wonder about what things I haven’t done that most people – or at least the majority – have done. At first nothing came to mind, but then a few things occurred to me: I’ve never caught a fish, or fired a gun, or played a piano. I also can’t remember ever not believing in God.

Although I haven’t lived a flamboyant life by any means, I have been fortunate to do a great many things: attend football games at all levels, from peewee to pro; stand in a restaurant atop one of the World Trade Center towers just a few years before it was destroyed; travel to Europe, the Caribbean, Central and South America; learn to drive a 1950 stick-shift Chevy truck; meet Billy Graham; be married 35 years; become a grandfather; see a NASCAR race; interview notables ranging from Jesse Owens to Joni Eareckson Tada; write books; see and photograph the Grand Canyon.

I don’t mean to boast, but I have been blessed to do lots of enjoyable things. Yet perspective has taught me that fulfillment is not about the next thrill or acquisition. As King Solomon wisely wrote thousands of years ago, “A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God” (Ecclesiastes 2:24-25).

No comments: