Thursday, October 7, 2010

Miracles, Anyone?

Last Sunday the pastor asked us to recall a miracle God has done in their lives. So I started thinking, “What miracles has He done in my life?”

When we hear the word “miracle,” there’s a tendency to think of something magical –parting the Red Sea, turning water into wine, or raising the dead. I have no doubt God can do that and many other similar feats, whenever He chooses to do so. But reviewing my life, what came to mind were things not as spectacular, but every bit of miraculous.

Like the fact my wife, Sally, and I have been married more than 36 years.

In today’s “for better, but not for worse” culture, that’s a miracle! Not only that, but you can still catch us holding hands, kissin’ and stuff.

How about the new aorta I received nearly four years ago – my dad probably died of the same malady, but thanks to medical advancements, I’m still here at the keyboard. My heart’s pumping strong, thanks to my part cadaver, part Dacron aortic root replacement. A miracle.

I consider my grandchildren a miracle. Sure, childbirth is natural; they say it’s even hereditary. But having wonderful little kids to spoil, then to send home – that’s a miracle.

With so many people complaining about jobs they hate, I’m blessed to have been able to devote my entire career to writing and editing, and for three decades use those skills to communicate the practical relevance of the Scriptures. To me, it’s a miracle God would even let me do that!

So to find miracles, we don’t have to look far. The fact we woke up this morning – that’s one. If you had the joy of seeing a flower or the blue sky, there’s another. If you heard a bird chirp, or even someone ranting on a talk show, that’s a blessed miracle. And if you haven’t experienced enough miracles lately, God’s sure to send another your way soon.

As the Scriptures tell us, God is “able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us” (Ephesians 3:20).

No comments: