Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Identities in Crisis?

At one time or another, we probably all have thought, “Someday, I want to be somebody!” I remember thinking how nice it would be to be included in the “Who’s Who” listings of important people. Alas, I recently discovered I’m still stuck in “Who’s He?”

Thanks to the Internet, all would-be somebodies have the solution. Anyone can become somebody almost without doing anything.

You can make a name (and face) for yourself on sites like Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and Plaxo. If you like to perform, you can download a video of yourself on YouTube – whether it be reasonable or outrageous, whichever you prefer. You can do a personal blog (imagine that), hoping people will actually read what you have to say! You can even “Twitter” to the world via cell phone.

Instead of waiting for recognition, we can achieve it on our own in many ways. Years from now, some people’s main claim to fame will be their attempt to attain a measure of fame.

Yes, you can find me on Facebook, and I blog away. But I don’t have to await the world’s verdict. In some quarters, I’m already somebody – a significant one at that.

I’m important to my wife, my children and grandchildren. I have friends who actually think enough of me to give me a call or send an e-mail once in a while. And most important of all, the Bible clearly states that to God I am indeed somebody.

It says God so loved the world (including me) that He gave His one and only Son (John 3:16). And in Isaiah 43:4, God declares, “…you are precious and honored in my sight and…I love you….”

Those and many other passages assure me that, even if the publishers of “Who’s Who” never call, I truly am somebody!

No comments: