Monday, March 19, 2018

What Kind of Egg Are You?

Eggs are among my favorite foods. Maybe it’s partly because of their variety. You can buy them with white, tan or brown shells. Years ago, when I was a newspaper editor, I wrote a feature article about locally raised “Easter egg chickens” that laid eggs in several different colors. I’m not yolking about this, by the way.

But the best thing about eggs is the many ways you can cook them. It occurs to me that in some respects, people are a lot like eggs. So, I thought it might be fun to consider types of prepared eggs – and their human counterparts. The Bible even refers to some of them:

Scrambled. This is one of my favorite ways to eat eggs, but dealing with scrambled people and their mixed-up ideas? Not so much. The assembly was in confusion: Some were shouting one thing, some another. Most of the people did not even know why they were there (Acts 19:32).

Sunny-side up. Isn’t it fun being around people who are optimistic, positive and confident, as opposed to those who always take a negative view of things? “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable…think about such things” (Philippians 4:8).

Over-easy. Today we encounter lots of brooders, folks who harbor grudges and refuse to let go of animosity they have toward others. I prefer being around those that, “Bear with one another and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you” (Colossians 3:13).

Hard-boiled. Again, hard-boiled eggs are enjoyable, whether peeled from their shells and eaten with a bit of salt and pepper, or included in a salad. But hard-boiled people aren’t nearly as palatable. But they refused to pay attention; stubbornly they turned their backs and covered their ears(Zechariah 7:11). “An offended brother is more unyielding than a fortified city, and disputes are like the barred gates of a citadel” (Proverbs 18:19).

Raw. These are my least favorite. I’ve seen people put raw eggs in their health drinks, but to me, uncooked eggs are as appealing as a wad of Play-Doh. I don’t much care for raw people either, those who slink around with the proverbial chip on their shoulder, just daring you to knock it off. “A hot-tempered man must pay the penalty; if you rescue him, you will have to do it again” (Proverbs 19:19). “Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared” (Proverbs 22:24-25).

Are you sunny-side up,
over-easy - or scrambled?
Poached. These are prepared about midway between raw and hard-boiled; I like them on toast. Cooked with steam, they’re more delicately prepared and the process helps to retain the egg’s nutrients. This kind of reminds me  of 1 Peter 3:7, which exhorts husbands to treat your wives with consideration as a delicate vessel, and with honor as fellow heirs of the gracious gift of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.” I doubt my wife would appreciate my referring to her as “poached,” but all husbands would be well-advised to take a “handle with care” approach with their wives. 

Well, there you have it. I’ve come out of my shell a bit, eggs-posing you to a bit of my egg-centricity. This was just something I was thinking about – I have no other eggs-planation. So…what kind of egg are you?

No comments: